Lady Lion soccer players commit to college

Hayley Procon, Staff Writer

For three senior soccer stars, kicking a ball around has given them all thousands of dollars toward college tuition.

Andrea Jozefczyk, starting center back for the lady Lions, has officially committed to the University of Bridgeport to play Division II soccer. Bridgeport plans on helping her with her books, tuition, and board. Jozefczyk has played soccer for eleven years and has been on varsity since her sophomore year. She was in Panama on vacation which led her to miss tryouts her freshman year but that was no set back. After high school she plans to study medical laboratory science and then apply for a physician’s assistant program. Over half a dozen colleges had contacted Jozefczyk to play for them.

“I know that soccer is something I enjoy a lot and realized that all the time and work that I’ve put in would go to waste if I didn’t continue in college,” says Jozefczyk, “Bridgeport invited me to their ID camp and they pulled me aside and told me they were interested in me.”

Nissa Pereira, also a starting center back/center defensive midfield, has officially committed to play Division I soccer at the University of Hartford. Pereira has been playing soccer since she was three years old and has been on varsity since she was a freshman. After playing for over 15 years she knows that soccer is something she never wants to give up. After high school she plans to study pre-med. Four Division I colleges were interested in Pereira. She had a lot of choices to make but she knew Hartford was the right one.

“I love soccer and I can’t imagine my life without it, I want to pursue it as much as possible and play on the highest level I can,” says Pereira, “I chose Hartford because it has a great soccer program, good pre med/science program, it’s close to home, and it gave me the most money.”

Tasha Kwatowski, starting center mid for the lady lions, has committed to the University of South Carolina Aiken to play Division II soccer. After a lot of thought and talking to a lot of coaches, Kwatowski decided Aiken was the best choice for multiple reasons. Kwatowski has always wanted to go down South and she realized South Carolina was her favorite. She doesn’t know exactly what she wants to study in college yet but she does know she wants to do something with athletics.

“Soccer is my life, I want to play for as long as I can,” says Kwatowski, “I went to different college recruiting tournaments, but I knew USC Aiken was the right choice for me.”