Oh My Godding — Advice for my peers

We have been in school for approximately six weeks now, and as a senior I feel I’m qualified to offer advice to my fellow Ludlowdians:

Freshman: I know it’s overwhelming to be in high school; it’s a new place  and it’s nothing like elementary or middle school. You have a new-found independence, but don’t abuse it. It’s smart to pay your class dues. All it is is 15 dollars, and if you don’t pay, you won’t be able to participate in activities such as Homecoming, Powderpuff, etc. Get involved in sports and clubs, because when your competing to get in college, the more the better. Also, don’t fail any classes, because freshman year is hands-down the easiest.  Honestly, just enjoy it, because high school is going to fly by. Take it from someone who knows.

Sophomores: Definitely take the pre-SAT’s whenever they are offered, because the SAT’s are hard, trust me. I have taken them twice and I’m going to have to take them again because my scores were average. You have to get above average because college is so competitive now. If you didn’t like freshman year, change that; make sophomore year better. Get involved; play a sport, join a club, do something. If you can, take an Honors or AP class for your junior year (but, as a warning, it is harder than a standard class and you will have more work). But times flies so enjoy it while it lasts.

Juniors: Junior year is busy. It’s the year that colleges look at your grades, GPA, and extracurriculars the most (I don’t know why, but they do). You also have to take the SAT’s. Not the practice test, but the real, five-hour exam that includes an essay and multiple choice Math and Reading Comprehension questions. Everyone says junior year is the hardest, but as long as you do your work and get decent grades you’re golden. Start looking into colleges and careers you’re interested in; I didn’t do that and I wish I did because it would have made this year a little less stressful. Go to the college visits that guidance offers because a representative from that school will give you first-hand knowledge about that school. Definitely go to Prom, it’s a good time. Junior year is going to be a bit challenging, but it was my favorite year in high school so far, so just get involved and get good grades.

Seniors: We have made it! But before we can bask in the glory, we have college and the future to worry about. It’s scary and it’s going to be stressful but you just have to balance it out. Don’t get behind, don’t let your grades drop and don’t stop caring. Do everything you can during your senior year like Homecoming, Powderpuff, Senior Show, and Prom because it’s the last chance you’re going to get. Don’t get too stressed, though. Have some fun. I mean, it is senior year. Go check out colleges with friends or even spend a night at a college. Apply to every scholarship possible because there are thousands out there that students don’t even know about, so if less sign up, you have a better chance of getting free money. Do volunteer work and play a sport or join a club; colleges love extracurriculars. Just enjoy it, because once you graduate, you are going to enter a whole new way of life, with more responsibility and independence than you have ever seen. Do anything and everything your senior year, because you want to make friends and memories that are going to last a lifetime.  All I can say is really enjoy the time you have at Ludlow High School, make it fun and make some memories.

So who knows what’s going to happen this year? Maybe water will make a comeback or cellphones will be allowed at lunch, but  for now let’s make the 2011-2012 school year one to remember.