Baseball’s playoff run comes to an end

Baseballs playoff run comes to an end

On Monday, June 2, the boys varsity baseball team’s season has come to an end when they lost their quarterfinal game 10-2, to number 1 seeded West Side.

“It was a good game. West Side had some big plays and we made some errors out on the field, which hurt us,” said head coach Martin Fanning.

The boys got to the playoffs by winning two of their last regular season games, which led them to clinch a spot in the tournament. They came in as the number 9 seeded team.

The first game of the playoffs, the boys took the field against number 8 seeded Chicopee Comp on Thursday, May 29. They came up on top by beating Comp 6-3.

During the West Side game, they boys had good hits, but West Side just made three diving catches in a row from those hits.

“They were better than us Monday, then when we played them in the regular season,” said Fanning.

The boy’s major achievements that benefited them throughout the playoffs were their team chemistry.

“They were on the same page, they are more interested in winning than their individual stats,” said Fanning.

Knowing that they are going to be losing good seniors and making sure that their was enough playing time for everybody, was a challenge that Fanning dealt with this season.

“We need to start looking at catchers, pitchers, and a centerfieldman now,” said Fanning.

The boys never lost a game by more than three runs until they played against West Side in the playoffs.

“I thought that we had a chance to go farther,” said Fanning, “It was a good and fun year overall and I’m sad that it’s over.”