Girls tennis players heading to Western Mass

The Ludlow High School tennis team is now 8-5 after losing to Agawam. They will be heading to Western Mass, May 11 and 12, and their last match will be home against Northampton on May 23.

The team’s record has improved since last year. Junior Cheyenne Ryczek explains how not only the underclass but everyone on the team is stepping up and showing improvement.

“[Sophomore] Kelsey Jordan has really improved, she’s starting first singles and she didn’t even play last year,” says Ryczek.

On Monday’s practice the team found out they each qualified for Western Mass this year. Western Mass qualifiers are as follows: singles – Kelsey Jordan and junior Katie Jordan; doubles – junior Lauren Papianou and senior Ariel Teixeira; and doubles – senior Carly Masse and junior Jocelyn Minie.

“We have seven good tennis players,” says Coach John Carlin, “ I think we’ll be able to win a few matches at Western Mass.”

A big competitor this season was Amherst, which Ludlow played against and lost 4-1. Another tough match-up will be Longmeadow, who the girls will be competing against during the Western Mass tournament.

“Amherst won Western Mass last year and [although] we haven’t played Longmeadow, they’ve always been a good team,” says Ryczek.

Ryczek believes that the success of the team this season is how well the girls get along with one another. “We all just mesh really well, there’s no drama, and it’s just really good.”