Ludlow Track and Field to be represented at States

This past Memorial Day weekend, both the Ludlow Boys’ and Girls’ Track and Field teams were represented by several of their own at the Western Mass. Championship meet.

Following Western Mass. is States, but in order to advance, you must qualify. In order to qualify, you must place in the top four in your event. Nine Ludlow athletes qualified for States.

From the girls’ team, juniors Ariana Quesnel, Kaitlyn Coelho, and Aleasha Ferreira all qualified for States. While Coelho placed first in the pole vault event and Quesnel placed first in the 400m hurdles, Ferreira joined her fellow teammates as she sprinted her way into States by placing third in the 100m.

Quesnel is ranked 9th in the state and also ran the third fastest time in the history of Western Mass.  Her fellow teammates are also ranked in the top 20 in the state. Ferreira being ranked 14th in the state, while Coelho is ranked 20th.

Coelho, along with all other qualifiers, is proud to compete for her team at States.

“It’s an honor to represent my team at States and I really hope I do well,” says Coelho.

As for the boys’ team, six of their own qualified for States. Junior Dan Crowley won the mile, senior Marck Bashaw placed third in the 800m, and sophomore Brian Crowley finished fourth in the two mile.

Junior Jake LeBlanc joins Bashaw and the Crowley brothers in the 4x800m relay. The four teammates worked together to place second in their event and qualify for States.

Ludlow boys will also be represented on the field. Junior Wes Dominique qualified for states by finishing third in pole vault, while senior Bobby White finished first in shot put, becoming one of two Ludlow boys to win an event, and extending his last year of Track and Field in the process.

All nine athletes will head to Bridgewater State on Saturday, June 4 with hopes of scoring points