Nemeth to return to LHS

Interim Superintendent Lisa Nemeth stands along side Todd Gazda. Nemeth, who will be returning to Ludlow High School as principal, took over for Gazda in 2021.

Gabriella Martins, Guest Writer

Ludlow High School Superintendent, Mrs. Nemeth, plans on making a comeback next year as principal. Nemeth accepted the interim superintendent position in 2021 when Dr. Todd Gazda accepted a position as the Executive Director at The Collaborative for Educational Services in Northampton.

Pullquote Photo

I don’t plan on making huge changes at all,” Nemeth said. “I just want the students and staff to feel safe and welcomed in the building. Hopefully, with teamwork, we can make LHS a great place where all students want to learn and succeed and have respect for each other. 

— Lisa Nemeth

Nemeth describes her year as interim superintendent as a “rewarding experience.”

The position did not come without challenges. “I was able to work more closely with the district principals to try and move this district forward in regard to academics and mental health,” she said. “The budget process was very intense this year, but I enjoyed looking at the district as a whole and making decisions for everyone, not just LHS.” 

While both are challenging, the responsibilities differ greatly between principal and superintendent. “The differences are huge. You are no longer working with teachers or students really. You are looking at fiscal responsibilities of the entire district along with facilities management, curriculum, and long-range planning,” she said

Nemeth explains how being superintendent forced her to become more independent, not interacting with students and faculty every day. 

At the time of Nemeth’s departure, the district was still reeling from COVID challenges. Administrators were tasked with getting the students back in the building, but doing so safely. With the departure of Gazda, Nemeth had to ensure protocols were implemented district-wide, leaving Interim Principal Jonathon Mitchell with the task of running the high school and ensuring a smooth transition from hybrid to in-person learning.  

“Mitchell did great. I was his mentor for two and a half years. This year was difficult for all students and staff and Mr. Mitchell did a great job during very new and challenging times.” 

As students transitioned from hybrid to in-person, there were many academic and behavioral challenges at the school. Mental health was at an all-time low. According to many students and teachers, Mitchell always had the supporting and understanding personality to help these students and staff. 

Everyone hopes things will be truly “back to normal” next year.

“I don’t plan on making huge changes at all,” Nemeth said. “I just want the students and staff to feel safe and welcomed in the building. Hopefully, with teamwork, we can make LHS a great place where all students want to learn and succeed and have respect for each other.” 

Nemeth looks forward to interacting with students again, something that just doesn’t happen at the district office.  “I am very excited,” she said. “You begin a teaching career to work with students. As Superintendent I missed the day-to-day interactions with students. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone again.” 

As interim superintendent, Lisa Nemeth reads to elementary school children.