LHS students to join national protests

Lara Cadete, Staff Writer

Some students of LHS will attend a nationwide protest on Saturday, March 24, which will be held in Boston and Northampton to protest gun control. Brian Bylicki, a history teacher at LHS, has organized the field field trips.

The February 14 school shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida has caused worldwide student protests and walkouts.

The demonstrations on March 24 are part of a movement called “March for Our Lives” which calls for protests throughout the United States. This movement is inspired and led by students all over the country.

The mission of March for Our lives is “To demand that a comprehensive and effective bill be immediately brought before Congress to address these gun issues. No special interest group, no political agenda is more critical than timely passage of legislation to effectively address the gun violence issues that are rampant in our country,” according to their mission statement.

Freshman Sara Ketchel will attend the Boston  event to express her passion for this cause,since she isn’t able to go to the Washington protest.

Ketchale expresses her passion for this cause. She explains that the rules need to be changed, as well as the legal age to obtain a gun.

“Teachers and students shouldn’t have to be scared to go to school everyday. It’s supposed to be a  positive environment, not a scary one,” said Ketchale.

Ketchale encourages anyone who believes in this movement to sign up and let their voice be heard.

“We are the future of our country, and it’s up to us to make the difference that we want to see in the world and stand up for what we believe in,” said Ketchale.