Fundraiser aids Nacsin family

Lauren Teixeira, Editorial Editor

In February, the winter sports captains have banded together to run the Links for Lincoln fundraiser to help raise money for the Nacsin family.

Ludlow High School’s newest gym teacher, Amanda Nacsin, along with her husband, Eric Nacsin, a Ludlow High School indoor track coach, welcomed a baby boy named Lincoln in early December. Soon after his birth, Lincoln was admitted into Boston’s Children Hospital due to critical health problems.

In order to help the family, Timothy Brillo, Ludlow High School’s athletic director, came up with a fundraiser named Links for Lincoln. He brought it to the latest winter captains’ meeting where individuals took point running the fundraiser, from making flyers and morning announcements, to signing up for shifts at lunch.

For the two weeks before February break, winter sports team captains sold construction paper links to students for $1 a piece at all three lunches. Students had the opportunity to write a message to the Nacsin family on each link.

“With the individual links we will make a long chain that will be displayed in the gym foyer,” says indoor track captain Sydney Carrington.

The fundraiser was an overall success according to Carrington. The exact amount raised is unknown and will be calculated and donated to the family once students come back from break.

“Our school came together and we got a lot of donations,” says Carrington. “People who do not even know the Nacsin family donated to the cause.”