Introducing the Tri-M National Music Honor Society

Bryanna Ferreira, Staff Writer

For the first time since 1999, Ludlow High school’s band teacher, Kevin McAvoy, introduced the Tri-M National Music Honor Society to band and chorus students. Similar to National Honor Society, students who show excellent achievement in musical classes have the opportunity to apply for this society.

“A lot of students show interest in the musical arts and jumped at the idea of having an active Chapter of the Tri-M society again,” says McAvoy. Therefore, he created this club as an outlet for students to show leadership and advocate for music education. On May 10, 2017, 25 students were inducted into the club.

The Tri-M Society also offers honors credit for students who participate in the club. In order to be accepted into the club, students must complete specific requirements that include participating in ensembles and taking private music lessons.

Seniors Danielle Mullin and Julia Rouillard put a lot of time and energy into leading the other students who are a part of this club. “It is a lot of work, but it’s worth it when we see big projects succeed,” expresses Mullin. She claims that the club resembles a large group of motivated leaders who provide input in the club’s events and projects.

In the first year of the club running, members initiated several “big projects” First, they played their instruments for the “Name That Tune” segment on Lion’s Roar. This was a special event for “Music in the Schools” month in March.

To assist younger band members, the students of the Tri-M National Music Honor Society mentored middle school band members in one-on-one training. Additionally,, they plan to lead an instrument charity day at Chapin Street School, where they will donate instruments to children who show interest in music.

Just last month, the students in the club ran a clothing and toy drive for Thom Springfield and Toddler Services in Springfield. Clearly, the first year was a success given the wonderful community service projects they ran.

The motivation of the band members significantly contributes to the club’s success. “I started the club, but the students really took off with it,” says McAvoy.

Mullin says she enjoys being a part of this society because she is passionate about music and wants to promote band to others. She also likes how the club focuses on giving back to the community.

The students running this club hope the Tri-M National Music Honor Society will continue to grow rapidly gaining more members each year. “I hope we always make a large impact on the community,” says Rouillard.
At graduation, look for students wearing a bright pink cord on their gown, and understand that these are talented leaders who took part in the Tri-M National Music Honors Society.