LHS takes 2nd place in Chemistry Olympiad

LHS+Chemistry+Olympiad+participants.+
LHS Chemistry Olympiad participants.

Chemistry teacher Barbara. Piela along with 50 past and present chemistry students of LHS came in second place in the American Chemical Society- Connecticut Valley Section Chemistry Olympiad on Tuesday, March 17.

“The Ludlow High School Chemistry Olympiad team came in second in the Quiz bowl team competition… and we tied for second with Longmeadow in the highest combined score for High School chemistry,” Piela said.

Springfield’s Central High School came in first.

The event was open to all high school students currently enrolled in chemistry or who have taken at least one year of the subject. The actual competition was made up of three parts: a 70 minute multiple choice section, a 50 minute essay portion and a 70 minute lab period.

According to the American Chemical Society, the multiple choice section focused on “the general principles and concepts covered in a normal college preparatory high school chemistry course but there will be some questions of an advanced nature.”

The Ludlow students did not score high enough to advance to the second and third parts.

“It was interesting, definitely,” said senior Bradley DeJesus, “but the test was hard.”