LHS cheerleading goes co-ed

Felicia Robare, News Editor

For the first time since 2009 LHS varsity cheerleading team has gone co-ed after they added male cheerleader, sophomore Brendan Quinones.

“Joining the team was one of the best choices I have ever made. I love it,” says Quinones. “I’ve done All-Star Cheerleading before. My best friend DeeDee [Flebotte] thought it would be a good thing for us to join together.”

Quinones has become the center of attention for the squad. He stands in the middle, counts off at the beginning of cheers and dances, and stands at the point of the triangles.

“Being on the team is great, I’m really proud to be able to represent what Ludlow cheerleaders are all about,” says Quinones. “This team is determined, motivated, and persistent. We work hard and ‘slay the scene.’”

In a stunt, there are four positions: a flyer, two bases, and a back. A stunt is also known as building a pyramid, or putting a girl (flyer) into the air. A flyer is the girl that goes up into the air. Bases are the two that are under the girl in the air, holding her feet. A back spots the back and holds the ankles or thighs, depending on their height.

When Quinones is not backing a stunt, he is doing a “one-man” stunt with Danielle Dart.

A one-man is when there is only one base instead of two. In a one-man there is a lot more weight to hold.

Quinones is a single base so he has a different technique to get Dart into the air. Her foot starts in the backers to help throw her into the air. In this case it is Hannah Betit. Next he holds onto her waist with a tight enough grip to throw her, while she is holding his wrists to push off of. They both need enough power so she is thrown above shoulder height, to be caught just above the shoulders. After they are all set and she is balanced, he will take a large dip and fully extend his arms while Dart is switching to standing on one leg instead of two and still remain as tight as possible.

“It takes a lot of trust, balance, and confidence to go up in a one-man.” says Dart. “Luckily, I trust Brendan.”

All the girls are excited for the season to witness a different outcome.

“It’s a good opportunity to open up and be different than what we ever have before,” says captain Alyssa Coelho. “I’m excited to see how the year will turn out.”

Although the team only practices six to eight hours a week, all of the teammates are determined to make up for lost time and put in maximum effort.

brendan