Band members welcome Malcolm Rowell Jr.

The Ludlow High School Band members will be attending an after-school clinic held by an extremely knowledgeable musician, Malcolm W. Rowell Jr.on Mar 28 from 2:30-4:30.

Rowell is the Director of Bands and Professor of Music at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.

“I am very excited for the students to have an opportunity to work with Mr. Rowell,” said Kevin McAvoy, LHS band director.

Rowell is a past-president of the College Band Directors National Association Eastern Division and and also a past-president of the New England College Band Directors Association.

Though Rowell is retired, he still has a commitment to his long standing interest in music education. Rowell goes around the country conducting clinics, workshops, adjudications, and lectures.

“Over the years I have had several opportunities to collaborate with him but the most memorable experience was in 1993 when I was lucky enough to be part of the Vermont All-State Concert Band which Mr. Rowell conducted,” said McAvoy. “His inspirational words had a lot to do with why I pursued a career in music.”

McAvoy hopes that his students will leave feeling motivated and excited about finding their musical potential both as individuals and as an ensemble, not only for the upcoming MICCA (Massachusetts Instrumental and Choral Conductors Association) Concert Band competition on April 5 at Belchertown High School, but also for the lifetime ahead of them.