Ludlow C.A.R.E.S to host Chris Herren at LHS

Ludlow C.A.R.E.S Coalition is hosting an assembly, starring basketball legend from Fall Rivers, Chris Herren. The acronym stands for Compassion, Awareness, Respect, Education, and Safety, all of which Chris Herren exemplifies.

A former Boston Celtics player, Herren lost his position due to addiction. Beginning with alcohol, moving on to cocaine, oxycontin, and eventually heroin, his life spiraled out of control. He has now been sober since 2008 and is promoting his non-profit foundation, The Herren Project, to educate communities about addiction.

Herren will be at the LHS auditorium Monday, October 28 at 6:30 to speak about his recovery and the risks of drug abuse. Laura Rooney, chair of Ludlow C.A.R.E.S, discovered Herren from LHS alumni, Nick Pevato and is expecting a large turn out on the 28th.

“Come early around 6:00 because we are expecting a lot of people. It will also be broadcasted on teleprompters in the gymnasium so more people can view it,” explains Rooney.

It is also Red Ribbon Week at LHS to go along with Herren’s visit. Pick up a Red Ribbon during lunch in the cafeteria for a dollar to support Anti Drug Awareness.