LHS varsity cheerleaders host a cheer clinic

The Ludlow High School cheerleaders hosted their Junior Cheer Clinic on Oct 19. About 50 children between the ages of 4 and 14 attended the clinic and will perform with the cheerleaders during halftime at this Friday’s Football Game at Ludlow High when the Lions take on Belchertown.

“We taught a cheer, a couple sidelines, some tumbling, a dance and we did stunting,”  said senior cheerleading captain, Emelie Kalesnik, who added that it was the cheerleaders, not the coaches, who taught the routines.

“The goal of the camp was to allow younger kids who don’t know much about cheerleading to be able to see if they like it and want to join cheer in high school,” says Kalesnik, “The camp also raised money for all of the cheerleaders.”

The camp charged $30 per attendee, which raised approximately $1,500. All money raised will help pay for competition fees, extra uniform pieces, such as pom poms, and an end of the year banquet for all of the girls.

“My goal was for the both the team and the kids attending to have fun and enjoy the experience,” says freshman cheerleader Theresa Gelinas.

Coaches Kelsey Danitis and Jackie Vivier want to peak the interest of young cheerleaders so they sign up when they reach high school.

“The cheerleading program at LHS is rapidly growing after winning three out of four Western Mass competitions and then competing at the state level.” says Danitis, adding that they want to get the youth program back at the Boys and Girls Club which was eliminated last year.

Participants were excited to be able to work with the older girls.

“I liked it a lot and I think I want to be a cheerleader when I reach high school,” said eighth grader Caitlin Cronin.