LHS band places second in national competition

The LHS school symphony band traveled to Virginia from May 19 to May 21 to perform in a “Music In The Parks” event where bands and choruses from different states and schools compete in music. The concert band received a rating of “Excellent” and came in second place in their division, according to Kevin McAvoy, band director.

“I thought it went very well,” said McAvoy.” All of the students did a great job representing Ludlow High School.”

The rating of “excellent” was given by two judges using a national scoring rubric.

McAvoy said that for many students this was the first time away from home, “but the excitement of visiting a new city with a group of friends overshadowed any fear they may have had and everyone had a great time.”

The schedule was a busy one. Students had a clinic with Professor Anthony Maiello at George Mason University Fairfax, Virginia, performed for adjudication (a judging/rating) at Music in The Parks in Williamsburg, visited Busch Gardens amusement park, toured Colonial Williamsburg and enjoyed a dinner/dance cruise at Chesapeake Bay.

Every morning the students ate at the Golden Corral. Some of students said they were easily sick of Golden Corral after the first day because, as some students said, the taste is just so bland and something to eat just once a year, but it was the only breakfast place and they paid ahead of time so no one had a choice.

Overall, students reported that the trip was fun and amusing.