LHS students explore career fields with Hot Jobs 4U

LHS guidance secretary Rebecca Mathisen is providing seniors and juniors with an opportunity to learn about all the emerging jobs in the future through the Hot Jobs 4U program on Thursday, Oct. 20, at Western New England University.

Hot Jobs 4U is a program sponsored by River East School-to-Career, Inc. that focuses on educating students on the six main career clusters: Arts & Media, Business & Financing, Education/Human Services/Government, Engineering/Manufacturing/Construction, Environmental/Natural Resources/Agriculture, and Health Science.

“This is the first year Ludlow High School has offered this opportunity to students, but this is a great program for Ludlow to get involved with because every job whether it be a guidance counselor or working in an industry falls under one of the six main clusters, ” said Mathisen.

The students will arrive at the University at 8:15 A.M. where they will remain until 1:00 P.M. Their stay will be broken down into two parts: having face time with representatives from colleges, and having an opportunity to have a hands-on experience in the job cluster of their choice.

“Once we arrive in the morning there will be tables and sections set up where 10 to 15 students can talk with and ask any questions they may have with different companies, presenters, and colleges from each cluster, ” said Mathisen. “The afternoon will be occupied with a hands-on workshop where students will pick their top three clusters, and will get to go to one of those three for the rest of the afternoon.”

The students who chose Arts & Media will be working behind the scenes in a Media Production.

The cluster of Business & Financing will be unraveling and discovering the secrets of Marketing.

Education/Human Services/Government will be focusing on the structure of the criminal justice system.

Engineering/Manufacturing/Construction will be evaluating today’s mechanical Engineering world.

Environmental/Natural Resources/Agriculture closes in on wind and water turbines while incorporating green environmental engineering.

Health Science will work with robotic surgery and bio-medical engineering.

Deadline to register is Oct. 12, and space is limited as only 30 students from LHS will have the opportunity to go. The cost is $5 per student which includes a boxed lunch and transportation. See Ms. Mathisen in the guidance department to sign up or for more information.