Classes clash as Powderpuff returns to LHS

Powderpuff Football makes its return to the Ludlow High School sports complex on Thursday, June 2.

In the spirit of Powderpuff, female students from each of the four classes will play flag football while their male classmates stand on the sidelines and act as cheerleaders.

Powderpuff, which is usually held before April vacation by Lions Pride, was scheduled later in the year, “to accommodate for postponement of spring sports,” says advisor Jennifer Prior. There were also many students who would not be able to play due to being on vacation.

The Freshman-Sophomore game will be played at 6 p.m., and, in a rematch from two years ago, the Seniors attempt to blemish the Juniors’ undefeated record.
“The Freshmen have a lot [of players], the Seniors have a few, and the Sophomores and Juniors are right in the middle,” says Prior of team sizes, which range from 15 to 30. Despite team size, excitement is running high among all participants.

“The girls are really excited to play each other,” Prior says.

Along with the two football games, the Battle of the Classes trophy will be presented to the class who has earned the most points through such things as Deck the Halls, Pep Rally events, Spirit Weeks, the Powderpuff games themselves, and a four-way tug of war that will take place between the two contests.

While participants will be admitted free of charge, spectators can pay $3 at the gate to watch the events.