Relay For Life returns to LHS

At the Ludlow High School track on May 20 between 3 p.m. and 10 p.m. LHS is holding its second annual Relay For Life.

“About 20 teams signed up that I know of,” says organizer sophomore Disha Patel.  Patel is also in charge of  organizing groups of cancer survivors to attend the Relay.

Relayers are encouraged to bring tents, chairs, umbrellas, a sweater, bug-spray, games, and money. Money will be needed to purchase t-shirts, if you have raised a $100 you receive a t-shirt for free. The food is being donated by Chmura’s Bakery and Panera, but relay participants will need to buy food.

Childrens’ activities will occur between 3 p.m.. and 8 p.m. Activities include painting nails, face painting, and bracelet making. Sophomores Jessica Pashko and Alexa Repko are in charge of the childrens’ activities. Other activities such as sports will occur.

Students from the high school will perform between 3:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. Entertainers include senior Helen Nguyen, junior Davis Horgan, junior Andrew Luzio, sophomore Conner Stange, senior Richie LaRocque, senior Zack Breault, junior Dalton Hastings, senior Tanya Belyshev, and junior Alex Albano. A D.J. will take over between performances.

“Every hour we’re going to get everybody to dress up in whatever theme it is and we’ll walk the track,” says Patel explaining the “theme laps” concepts. Super hero lap will be between 3 p.m  and 4 p.m. and students will break out the lais between four and five o’clock for the Hawaiian lap. Participants are encouraged to wear purple, relay flags, and relay stickers for “Support Relay Lap” starting at five and ending at six. Everyone will be sporting their favorite sports uniform  for favorite sports team lap between six and seven, and between seven and eight participants will be decked out in their favorite color. A black-out glow-in-the-dark lap will partake after the Luminaria ceremony and will end at 10 P.M.

“[The Luminaria] ceremony is to remember those who’ve passed away from cancer. We take small Luminaria bags and put candles in them,” explains Patel. “We light them up, and since the bags were decorated by families they all spell out hope and cure.”

NHS and Interact Club, along with other students, helped making the second annual Relay For Life happen. Those students who put in the extra effort include junior Siearra Papuga who is in charge of the schedule, junior Claire Lemek and senior Angela Pereira who are in charge or the Luminaria, and sophomores Jess Pashko and Alexa Repko are in charge of Children’s activities. Sophomore Disha Patel is in charge of gathering cancer survivors to attend, senoir Ross Butcher is in charge of teams, and junoirs Steph Ferreira and Andrea Serpas are in charge of Entertainment.