Miss Western Massachusetts Teen, Madison Mathias

Peter Camry

This year, LHS student and my friend, Madison Mathias competed for the title of Miss Western Massachusetts’ Teen. Not only did she walk away with pageant expertise and experience, but also the title she fought for, a vital step on the journey to Miss Massachusetts’ Teen and then Miss America’s Teen. This title comprises of a gem-studded crown, a plaque, $100s in scholarships, and the opportunity to compete at the state level for Miss Massachusetts’ Teen. She does all of this through the Miss America Opportunity, a regional, state, and national competition that selects some of the most intelligent and confident women as its title holders. 

The Miss America Opportunity allows young women to learn vital life skills, earn scholarship money, and help others through service. The five points of the crown read, “Style, Sisterhood, Scholarship, Success, and Service.” These values are instilled in young women and go with them throughout their whole lives. Even if you don’t win a title these skills are still important to learn. The Miss America Opportunity holds competitions for these young women to compete in, encouraging healthy competition. The bond the girls make during their time practicing and competing is unbreakable. 

Peter Camry

In March of last year, Mathias, successfully, won the title of Miss East Longmeadow’s Teen. As Miss East Longmeadow, every Saturday Mathias would make a post spreading awareness about different learning disabilities as a part of her Social Impact Initiative, she called these “Stop the Stigma Saturdays.” Mathias created the initiative, ‘The Cameron Project,’ after her sister Cameron, to spread awareness about children who struggle with learning disabilities. Her reign as Miss East Longmeadow’s Teen gave her the skills and knowledge to better prepare her for the Miss Western Massachusetts Teen competition. 

The pageant starts with the onstage question. Madison Mathias, contestant number five, walks onstage to the mic. The previous year’s Miss Western Massachusetts’ Teen, Sydney Drugan, asked her, “What was your favorite ‘Stop the Stigma Saturday’ post?” Eloquently, Mathias answers with, “My favorite ‘Stop the Stigma Saturday’ post was the first one.” She then goes on to talk about the post which was about her sister Cameron who has a learning disability. 

Peter Camry

The next segment was fitness/modeling. With great confidence, Mathias struts onstage, does a spin, and poses with her hands on her hips. She was wearing a red top and a matching red skort provided by Rebel Activewear. 

Talent was next and I knew Mathias would blow the competition away with her self-choreographed lyrical dance. She gracefully entered the stage wearing a beautiful plum-colored costume with silver accents. She stunned the judges, and me, with her immense talent and skill. This dance landed her the Talent Award, which consists of a scholarship for $150. 

Peter Camry

The last segment of the night was the evening gown. Mathias came out wearing a stunning lavender gown with iridescent blue accents on the bodice. Her hair was curled, there was not a flyaway in sight. This dress was later decorated by her new sash that reads “Miss Western Massachusetts’ Teen,” her hair with a new silver crown, and her home with her new plaques. She received an additional $100, making her grand total from this year and the previous year over $800. 

With the title of Miss Western Massachusetts’ Teen Mathias is expected to do community service projects with her fellow title holders, Miss Pioneer Valley’s Teen, Lainey Bergeron, Miss Pioneer Valley, Madelynn Hardtke, and her pageant sister, Miss Western Massachusetts, Meghan Kalbaugh. She will also make appearances at local events and other pageants. 

In June, Mathias will compete for Miss Massachusetts’ Teen in Eastern Massachusetts. This competition, being state-wide, will host her toughest competitors yet. 

See you at States!