Various seniors going to various colleges

Jennifer Plamondon, Staff Writer

Senior year is coming to an end here at Ludlow High School and many students are making big decisions about their future. This is the stressful time of year where students start receiving college acceptance letters. For some students this could mean staying right in Massachusetts or even Ludlow, while for others, it can be a ticket to somewhere far away.

Senior Kendall Weake says, “college deadlines were stressful, especially figuring out which school needed what.” To stay organized, Weake even created note cards to keep track of all the deadlines and requirements. The hard work Weake put in paid off because she now has been accepted to Rutgers University in New Jersey, Norwich University in Vermont, Western New England University in Springfield MA, as well as Springfield Technical Community College, also in Springfield MA. Weake is still unsure about where she wants to go but is excited that she has the option to stay close to home or move somewhere farther away. She plans to major in Criminal Justice but is still unsure of exactly what she wants to do with that major.

LHS is full of well-rounded students and many of them are being accepted into colleges for not only their high academic grades but also their talent in extracurricular activities. Senior Nissa Pereira is committed to the University of Hartford as well as being accepted as a member of the soccer team. Pereira plans to go into the field of science and major in in a pre-medical program. When asked about some of the reasons why she chose this school, Pereira said that she wanted to be a part of a smaller school.

Some students have such an urge to get out of Massachusetts and experience a new state, that when applying to colleges they made sure their only options were not in Massachusetts. Jacquie Mendes has been accepted by the two schools she applied to, Johnson & Wales University in Rhode Island and High Point University in North Carolina. Mendes hope to be at High Point next fall and is excited because, as she expressed, “the campus is gorgeous.” Mendes wants to go into the math field but like Kendall, is not sure exactly what it is that she wants to do. “High Point has lots of opportunities for internships,” says Mendes, which is a good way to decide if you like working in that field or not.

For students who want to further their education after high school, four year colleges are not always the answer. Senior Megan Brown plans to attend STCC for her first two years and then will transfer to Westfield State University. Megan plans to graduate college with a degree in arts and education so that she can become a high school art teacher.

These are just some of the LHS students that are moving on to better their education and offer what they have to the world outside of Ludlow. No matter if it is community college or an ivy league university, these students will make a difference with their contributions and knowledge.