Ashley Saccamando: Cosplayer, Artist, and Music Lover

Saccamando dressed as Prussia from Hetalia

Katelyn Beebe, Staff Writer

Junior Ashley Saccamando is a bit shy sometimes, but once you get to know her she opens ups and becomes talkative about her interests, which include drawing and listening to music. But her biggest interest: cosplaying.

The word “cosplay” is a combination of the words “costume” and “play.” It is when people dress up as a specific character from anime, manga, movies, T.V. shows, videogames, and comic books. There are also websites and social networks dedicated to cosplay.

Saccamando is a cosplayer who has dressed up as many different anime characters. She has also attended many different events for cosplayers. A few of these events include Hubcon and Conbust. She’s planning on attending more events in the future.

“It’s a great way to express what you like and it shows creativity,” she said.

She attends events such as Hubcon which is hosted at the Hubbard Memorial Library here in Ludlow. She has been to other events that have panels and sometimes host famous voice actors that voice some of the anime characters.

Saccamando started watching anime and then started cosplaying. She started watching anime movies in her childhood and then started watching anime shows later in her life. She was 15 when she started cosplaying.

Over the past few years, Saccamando has cosplayed as anime characters such as Maka from Soul Eater, Lucy from Fairy Tale, Misa from Death Note, and Prussia from Hetalia just to name a few.

“I love her cosplay, especially her Prussia cosplay, since we watch the same shows,” comments Lexie Moran.

One cosplay outfit with accessories costs more than one hundred dollars combined. People buy the costume, the shoes, wigs, accessories, and even colored eye contacts.

“It’s really tough getting one cosplay costume,” Saccamando says in regards to the cost.

Saccamando has hosted a few cosplay parties at her house for her and her friends. They all dress up, watch anime, play games, have a bonfire, and sleep in tents outside.

Most of her anime friends are from school, but she also is friends with people in college. They have anime clubs in college and the colleges that don’t have clubs have students pushing to have a club made.

“You see other people into cosplay and bond with them. Great way of meeting people,” says Saccamando, who is already planning her next cosplays such as “Attack on Titan” and “Free!” characters.

She is also in the anime club, which is where she has met many of her anime friends. The anime club is held at the Hubbard Library in Ludlow every Tuesday. Anime is Japanese animated productions and the club members talk and hang out while anime plays on the TV. They sometimes like to buy snacks such as Pringles, energy drinks and candy at a nearby Walgreens or go to the park. They also go and listen to various types of music and hang out at the gazebo near the library. The club sometimes has games where anime club is held.

“I love the Japanese art style, there is just so much anime to watch and it comes in all different genres,” Saccamando states about why she loves anime.

Her favorite anime is Hetalia. She said she couldn’t decide who her favorite anime character was because she has many favorites.

Saccamando wants a anime club at the school because it would be easier to get there instead of driving somewhere to attend.

“It would be nice to see what students from the school would be there,” Saccamando says.

She also likes to draw in her free time and is in drawing class. She likes to draw mostly anime characters, but she likes to paint too. She also attends art mural club after school on Thursday’s. They usually paint on the school hallways. Nature is her favorite thing to paint.

“I like to paint on the school walls, help out the school, and see my friends” Saccamando comments.

She likes to listen to music as well. Saccamando usually listens to metal, pop, punk-pop, and J-Rock. She loves many bands. Some of her favorite bands include Linkin Park, Evanescence, Coldplay, Paramore, and Three Days Grace. Her favorite singers include Adele, Taylor Swift, and Kesha.

Saccamando says about her music choices “I think it shows personality to yourself and it’s also very inspirational”.

“I think her music is a great way to express herself with whatever she likes to listen to” says Klaudia Wojcik

If you share the same interests as Ashley, or would like to learn more about cosplay or anime, or you want to paint with her, then you can join her at the art mural club (after school on Thursday’s) or join her at anime club (Tuesday’s at 3-6 at Hubbard Library)