Keep your cool this summer with fun activities

Summer vacation: the time high school students everywhere love and the time that parents dread. There’s no homework, unless you decide to take a crazy honors class next year, and you don’t have to worry about waking up at 6am every morning just to get to school on time. Seems like paradise at first, but after a few days, you start to run out of things to do. You’ve already gone to the beach, the movies, parties and the late nights at the pool. Now what?

Just because it’s summer doesn’t mean you have to spend all of your time outside in the sun. Of course it’s a great way to get some vitamin D, without having to drink an entire jug of OJ, but it can also harm your skin. Try going indoors to your favorite restaurant or mall and spend some time just hanging out with your friends. It feels so nice to be in the AC for a while and you can catch all of the summer deals going on. Both you and your wallet will feel better.

Now that you’ve hit the mall and cooled down for a while, why not take a last minute road trip? There are tons of places that are only a few hours or less away. Popping the hood on the car and letting the refreshing wind in your face sounds like a pretty good idea on a sunny, hot summer day.

Going to places like Boston or New York City may sound like fun, but they will be extremely crowded and you won’t be able to get anywhere fast. Visiting places like Rockport, Mass. or a quiet lake down in New Hampshire will be very a relaxing place to spend a day or two. They are near quiet beaches, which will keep you cooler, and have many tourist sites that will be interesting to visit.

You’re on your way home from that awesome trip you just took and you see raindrops on the dashboard of your car and dark clouds ahead. You finally get home just before the rain comes pouring down, but you have to cancel your outdoor plans for the day. Now what?

Go through your DVD’s, pop a bag of popcorn into the microwave, throw on some sweats and plop yourself onto the couch. Why not just relax and enjoy a movie while listening to the calming sound of the rain hitting your windows? It’s a good way to end the day with friends or family and to spend some quality time at home.

If you decide to take a vacation, you may not exactly be watching what you are eating. Many people tend to gain a few pounds after their vacations and don’t always feel like trying to take it off. If you are one of these people, go for a run or go for a swim everyday or even just a few times a week.

If you begin exercising, you can look good in that new bathing suit you just bought and you will feel better, both mentally and physically. It is a good habit to get into and will give you more energy throughout the day, which might be something you really need. You can also eat something refreshing, like a salad or fruit, and stay hydrated. You will have more energy to do the things you want to do and it cools you down when you get overheated.

Summer is such a fun time of the year, but because it doesn’t last forever, make the best of it. You will have many memories to cherish for the re