The Grammys make their way to the red carpet

Award show season has hit 2012, and with movie and TV based award shows lately dominating the red carpets and cable stations music looks to have its night.  The 54th Grammys are around the corner, premiering Feb. 12 at 8/7c on CBS.

The award show will be held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. LL Cool J will host the ceremony, and he will be the first person to host the Grammys in the last seven years.

The presenters include Dierks Bentley, Drake, Miranda Lambert, and Gwyneth Paltrow with more to be announced soon.

Fourteen artists will perform for the Grammys: Katy Perry, Adele, Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson, Glen Campbell with the Band Perry and Blake Shelton, Coldplay and Rihanna, Foo Fighters, Bruno Mars, Paul McCartney, Nicki Minaj, and Taylor Swift.

Now to get the the main event, the nominees and predictions. With 78 Grammy nomination categories, let’s focus on the main ones.

First, basically anything with Adele in the category  might as well be a lost cause for the other performers. With nominations for “Rolling in the Deep” in the Record of The Year and Song of The Year, 21 for Best Pop Vocal Album and Album of The Year, and “Someone Like You” nominated for Best Pop Solo performance, Adele looks to dominate.

Then there is the category of Best New Artist. Nominations include The Band Perry, Bon Iver, J.Cole, Nicki Minaj, and Skrillex. My bet is between  The Band Perry and Nicki Minaj. Both have had a huge year and a win would result in a first Grammy for either artist.

In the Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, “Body and Soul” by Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse, “Dearest” by The Black Keys, “Paradise” by Coldplay, “Pumped Up Kicks” by Foster the People, and “Moves Like Jagger” by Maroon 5 & Christina Aguilera are all nominated in this category. “Pumped Up Kicks” dominated the airwaves and charts this year and look only to have the competition of the up-beat “Moves Like Jagger.” Although, with Amy Winehouse’s recent death, “Body and Soul” could win as a nod to her talent and departure.

Then there is Best Rap Album. Honestly this whole category is a close race. Nicki Minaj is nominated for Pink Friday, Kanye West for My Dark Beautiful Twisted Fantasy, Lupe Fiasco for Lasers, Lil Wayne for Tha Carter IV, and Jay-Z and Kanye for Watch the Throne.

Best Country Album also looks to be a close category. Jason Aldean is given a nod for My Kinda Party, Eric Church for Chief, Lady Antebellum for Own the Night, Blake Shelton for Red River Blue, George Strait for Here for a Good Time, and Taylor Swift for Speak Now. I would say the three most likely to win are Jason Aldean, Lady Antebellum, and Taylor Swift. All three have had huge years, but in the end I see a close race between Lady Antebellum for Own the Night and Taylor Swift for Speak Now.

This year’s Grammys look to be filled with amazing performances, interesting wardrobe choices, and plenty of close races to receive the coveted Grammy awards.