Movies to look out for in 2012

With the end of the world approaching, Hollywood decided to save some of its best up-and-coming movies for last.

Here’s a preview of 2012 in movies: childhood classics, romance, novel-based, and action-packed alike.

Since Disney put out The Lion King in 3D last year, the revival of classics into a modern 3D creation has become a revolution.

On Feb. 10 Anakin and Obi One Kenobi battle their way back into theaters for Star Wars: Episode 1- The Phantom Menace in 3D. This is followed by the sinking ship Titanic April 6 and the fish that keeps on swimming in Finding Nemo on Sept. 14.

While 2011 was action packed with superheroes such as Captain America, Wolverine, Green Lantern, and Thor, 2012 looks to continue the appearance of superheroes at the box office.

The Avengers comes to theaters May 4. In this movie all of Marvel’s biggest superheroes join forces to bring down Loki, Thor’s nemesis, and save earth. With Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, Captain America, Hawkeye, and the Hulk all in one movie, what more could a superhero fan ask for?

Andrew Garfield takes Toby Maguire’s spot as Spider-Man in The Amazing Spider-Man, a recreation of the previous Spider-Man trilogy, July 3. Peter Parker once again finds himself bitten by a radioactive spider, displaying arachnid-like qualities, trying to woo the girl, and saving the day from dastardly villains.

The Dark Knight Rises also hits theaters in July on the 20. The third installment of the Batman trilogy and the follow up to The Dark Knight has been long awaited by fans. The Dark Knight Rises follows Bruce Wayne eight years after the events of The Dark Knight in which Batman must rise again to save Gotham City from the villainous Bane and Catwoman.

Superhero films are followed by action-packed blockbusters that stem off of past action franchises. Action film sequels include Men in Black III to be released May 25, GI Joe: Retaliation on June 29, Bourne Legacy w on Aug. 3, and Taken 2, which premiers Oct. 5.

Another action-packed film that looks to be released in 2012 is Brad Pitt’s World War Z, about a zombie apocalypse, which is fittingly set to be released on Dec. 21 — the supposed end of the world.

Movie adaptations from some of the most famous and bestselling books look to be popular in 2012.

First, Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax is set to be released March 2, based on the Dr. Seuss book of the same name. This movie follows 12-year-old Ted who lives in a world with artificial nature. Ted sets out on a journey to figure out what happened to the trees. Along the way he learns the story of the Lorax, once the protector of trees, and the Once-ler who destroyed them. The movie includes big stars such as Zac Efron, Taylor Swift, Betty White, Ed Helms, and Danny DeVito.

The long-awaited film The Hunger Games follows on March 23. Suzanne Collins’ novel comes alive in the film adaptation as the audience gets to watch 16 year-old Katniss Everdeen take her sister’s place  in the 74th annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death between 24 kids. Katniss becomes District 12’s girl tribute while Peeta Mellark is the boy tribute. There looks to be serious action with Katniss’ bow skills and serious tears as she saves her sister’s life and has a budding romance with Peeta, even though only one of them can survive the games.

Out Dec. 14, the prequel to The Lord of The Rings trilogy, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, chronicles the journey of Bilbo Baggins, the owner of the ring, before the famous Frodo.

Also, an adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby comes to theaters Dec. 25. The film follows Nick Carraway who finds himself fascinated with his extravagant neighbor Jay Gatsby, and gets drawn into the Gatsby’s circle. The film stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby, Carrey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan, and Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway.

Possibly the most awaited movie of 2012 is the adaptation of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 out Nov. 16. In the second part of Breaking Dawn Bella will awaken a vampire and the vampires and werewolves will ban together to fight of the Volturi and keep Renesmee safe.

Les Miserables, both a book and a musical, is being adapted to film for Dec. 7. It is set in 19th century France in which a paroled prisoner Jean Valjean seeks redemption.

A Nicholas Sparks novel, The Lucky One, hits the big screen April 6 and looks to be one of his famous tear jerkers. The Lucky One follows former U.S. Marine Logan Thibault as he journeys across the country to find a woman in a picture he found in Iraq, the picture he believes saved his life. When he meets this woman though, complications arise and secrets threaten to tear his new relationships apart.

Another love story coming out in 2012 is The Vow out Feb. 10. The movie follows married and madly in love couple Paige and Leo. Everything seems perfect until they get in a car accident. Paige falls into a coma, and when she awakens she does not recall ever meeting her husband. So Leo attempts to win his wife over all over again in this tear jerking love story.

Lastly, are the years fairytale themed movies Snow White and The Huntsman and Mirror Mirror. The Huntsman is out June 1 and Mirror Mirror premiers March 30. Both are spin-offs of the classic Snow White tale.

2012 looks to be full of largely anticipated blockbusters taking over the movie business.