Dismissal policies to be strictly enforced

Sophia Furlani, Staff Writer

Principal Lisa Nemeth has announced that although LHS dismissal policies have not changed this year, they will be more strictly enforced.

Dismissals and class absences led to some students not graduating, she said. With strict enforcement and oversight of the policy, the hope is that fewer seniors will lose credit for missing class.

According to the student handbook, “A student must be present for the entire period in order to be counted as present for that class. Students tardy to school must be present for at least half of the class in order for it to not be counted as absent.”

Nemeth explained that students and teachers alike have been affected by the policy, leading to stricter enforcement.

“Two years ago we had numerous seniors not graduating because they lost credit in their classes due to leaving their class early, especially seventh period. Teachers also complained it is very disrupted to have students leave in the middle of class because they are dismissed. Teachers believe the class loses focus and the teacher always needs to refocus and restate the lesson,” she said.

Nemeth also explained that “last year we enforced the policy that students can only be dismissed in between classes unless a parent comes in and needs to pick up their child for an emergency. We had students ask me if they could stay for half the class (for example to take a quiz) then be dismissed. In 100% of the cases I said yes.”

In 100% of the cases where a student needed to be picked up for an emergency or needed to stay for half the class for an assessment, Nemeth said yes, they can be dismissed in between classes.

This confirms what is stated in the student handbook: “a student must be present for at least half the period in order to be counted as present for that day. Presence for less than half the class will be considered an absence.”

As of today the online handbook has not been updated for this year.

Some students are against the dismissal and absence rules.  ”These policies are bad, because I used to get dismissed all the time,” said Junior Isabella Eskett. “They are not necessary. The school has too many rules already and we don’t need more.”

Nemeth diagrees: “I do think these are good policies.”