Valentine’s Day should be a holiday for many not a few

As soon as the days left of January start to dwindle, grocery and drug stores start to fill their shelves with overstuffed animals, assortments of chocolates, and anything that is a bubblegum pink or rosy red. Department stores also advertise sales for sparkling necklaces or earrings that have been jacked up in price along with tiny bottles of perfume with big prices tags.

What’s all this fuss about? Well, the fuss is about one measly day, February 14: Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day is supposed to be a holiday based on Saint Valentine himself, but has turned into a holiday based on gushing over each other and exclaiming one’s undying love.

The man, the myth, the legend, Saint Valentine, is rumored to have sent the first Valentine ever to a girl he was in love with while he was imprisoned before his death. To close the letter he used the phrase, “From your Valentine,” the same phrase that decks out many sappy pink and red cards delivered on the holiday. And while Valentine’s Day was originally celebrated to commemorate the death of the saint himself, it has turned into a celebration of romance and love in many countries including the United Kingdom, Mexico, France, Australia, Canada, and America.

The question though is, why?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m one of those hopeless romantics who reads Nicholas Sparks and watches a good romantic comedy any chance she gets, but the point of the holiday is to celebrate loved ones. Shouldn’t we be doing that everyday?

If you really think about it, why should we spend one day trying to prove our affection for one person to those around us. We should be doing this all day everyday. It shouldn’t take a holiday to surprise those you love with a gift because you feel forced into it, you should want to surprise them with little things all the time. You should always want to show people how much you love the one you are with.

Another thing about the holiday that celebrates love, is that it has become a holiday that only focuses on a certain type of love: love for a boyfriend, girlfriend, fiance, husband, or wife.

Love is love no matter what form it’s in, so why should this holiday be focused on those in a relationship.

Go out with friends to a sappy movie and eat chocolates and just have fun with the friends you love. Make your mom and dad a home cooked meal to show them your love and appreciation. Throw a singles tea party where everyone gets dressed up and is each others date so no one will ever feel alone or unloved.

Love is not only shared between romantic partners, so the holiday about love shouldn’t be based on declaring it for your boyfriend or girlfriend, it should be about acknowledging everyone you love. Valentine’s day should be a day where you can celebrate and appreciate everyone you say “I love you” too whether it be when you hang up the phone or when you wave goodbye, it should be about commemorating everyone that holds a special place in your heart.

“It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it’s not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it’s always there – fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends…If you look for it, I’ve got a sneaky feeling you’ll find that love actually is allaround.”