UMass Amherst breaks another record

UMass Amherst breaks another record

The University of Massachusetts, Amherst, once again set a world record and was put into the Guinness Book of World Records for the largest seafood stew ever made.

The chefs teamed up to cook a 6,656 pound stew. The stew included 145 pounds of bacon, 1000 pounds of seafood (mussels, lobster, clams, haddock and salmon), 1,137 pounds of potatoes, 1,175 pounds of half and half, and countless other vegetables and seasonings.

They happen to have one-ton, 14-foot frying pan left over from when they made the worlds largest stirfry in 2011. They needed a crane to lift the pan and put it into place.

“I see lots of unsuccessful record attempts,” Guinness Book of World Record employee, Michael Empric said, “So to see if go off today, even though it took a while, was really amazing.”

That same day, UMass welcomed around 27,000 students back to campus for the fall semester. Students could come and get a bowl of soup that day, free of charge. The leftover soup went to the Dining Hall for students to eat the next day, but they had to pay.

“There were lots of people here with their families for move-in day,” Student Suzie Carvajal said, “They were excited, they had never seen anything like that before.”

Record-breaking is becoming a tradition for UMass. The previous year, they broke the world record for largest stir-fry. The year before that: the longest California Roll.

The Dining Department is excited to continue to break world records and can’t wait until next year to add a new victory to their list.