Imagine Dragons debut stunning first album

Here I am, sitting at my computer watching the Perks of Being a Wallflower trailer, only to find myself caught up in the catchy upbeat tune playing in the background, instead of the actual trailer. Through extensive googling of lyrics I finally discovered Imagine Dragons- the rock, pop, folkish, slightly electronic band behind the captivating song It’s Time and an equally enchanting and enthralling first album.

The band’s first album, Night Visions, is composed of twelve songs that will leave you smiling, singing along, and feeling the strong emotions the band conveys through haunting and inspirational lyrics.

The album’s single, It’s Time, has an upbeat tempo that leaves you swaying and clapping along. The lyrics focus on not wanting to grow up and not caring that others think you should. It’s lyrics speak of the journey you face as you get older and how you have to make your own choice on where you go and whether you change. This makes the lyrics easily relatable to any high school student.

Another standout track is I’m On Top Of The World. This uptempo song keeps the listener singing and dancing along as it tells the story of climbing that mountain and reaching the top by never giving up, because you’ve always wanted to be on top of the world.

One of the most haunting and emotionally impacting songs on the album is Demons. The melody itself starts off eerie and soft, but as the song reaches the chorus the music builds and strongly rings out. This song tells about the struggle everyone faces with inner demons and how we try to protect others from them. The lyrics chant, “ When you feel my heat/ Look into my eyes/ It’s where my demons hide/ It’s where my demons hide/ Don’t get too close/ It’s dark inside.”

Another standout track is Radioactive. The song starts out with a melodramatic folky feel to it, till it transitions to a futuristic beat. This futuristic sound compliments the lyrics perfectly that center on being radioactive, an apocalypse, and a revolution. They sing, “Welcome to the new age, to the new age/ Whoa, whoa, I’m radioactive, radioactive.”

All in all, Imagine Dragons has created a stunning first album with tracks that differ in sound yet still mesh well together. They have mixed a synthetic futuristic sound with classic folk and new school rock. Night Visions makes you smile and sway, yet feel a deeper emotion and meaning all at the same time. If this is what they can do on their first album, I can’t wait  for a second.