Think before you speak

Think before you speak

Rumors are common in high school. Students spread them without even realizing it, leaving others asking themselves: Is my life really that much more interesting than yours? Are you that intrigued with my life that you feel the need to go talk about? Are you really that fascinated with me and my life? But there’s always another reason for why kids feel the need to talk about someone else’s back.

According to TeensHealth, “Some people spread rumors as a way to intimidate others and gain status or popularity. Spreading unkind gossip in person or online is not a decent or mature way to act.”

What most students do not realize is that spreading rumors is just another form of gossip and bullying.

“Gossip is like fast food…juicy, delicious, and bad for you. If you gossip all the time, your friends might not trust you with their secrets. They might feel you’d sell them out for a good school rumor. Next time, just try walking away. If the person talked about is a friend of yours, stand by her and say you don’t believe it. Don’t repeat it,” said one of the bloggers from BeingGirl.

There is many different forms of rumors. It is constantly being spread since we learn how to talk. There are many examples of rumors: They slept with each other, she cheated on him with that other kid, they broke up, or the classic, she’s pregnant.

Many people do not realize the difference between a gossip and a rumor. Gossip is something that has already happened and is true. A rumor is something that is not verified to be true.

Weather in person or online, once you say something to someone, you can never take it back. Cyber bullying is one of the most common ways of bullying. Those who do this cannot show sarcasm or see their victim’s reaction. They do not realize that they are hurting someone.

When someone spreads a rumor, they’re not just saying what they’ve already heard, they are ruining someone else’s life as well and on top of it.

A male friend and I were just talking when rumors spread that I was cheating on my boyfriend with him. But I wasn’t cheating. We were just talking. As friends. A few days after the rumor had spread throughout the school, my boyfriend and I broke up. Then another rumor began.

When they saw me with my friend, everyone questioned me, asking him and me if I was a slut?  If just jumping from guy to guy? If I was just using him for Prom? We were just friends.

There are many different ways that rumors can hurt someone.

“Gossip and rumors can destroy a person’s self-confidence and affect their self-esteem,” said Bullying Expert Sherri Gordon. “It also can lead to depression, suicidal thoughts, eating disorders, anxiety and a host of other issues.”

Although I have not reached the point of suicidal thoughts, I still have some hardships in school. It is hard to do school work, walk in the hallways, stay focused, manage my time, make friends, and to not cry throughout the day.

Rumors are spread everyday in school. They are just like the game Telephone. It’s just pass it on. The story changes or it is just made up. There could be some truth in it or no truth at all.

So, the next time you feel inclined to spread something you’ve heard indirectly about someone else, think first, what will the consequences be and how will this affect their life.