Some facebook groups could break the law

It seems like these days if you don’t have a facebook account then you don’t exist: moms now create facebook pages for their toddlers and and the oldest person on facebook is 103. When you type in “f” in the Google search engine facebook is the first thing to pop up and it has over 9 billion results.

There are also millions of groups on facebook, groups that are created by users anonymously. And recently these groups are starting to get out of hand at Ludlow High School when somebody (or some group of people) created groups that labeled “Ludlow’s Finest,” “Ludlow’s Prettiest,” and even “Ludlow’s Ugliest.” Not only is this poor taste, it can also be against the law. According to www.mass.gov cyberbullying is bullying through the use of technology or electronic devices such as cell phones, computers, video gaming systems and the Internet. If it’s hurtful, derogatory, harassing, intimidating, ridiculing, harmful or threatening, spreading rumors or sending personal information or pictures of other people than it’s considered cyberbullying.

Cyberbullying is a crime, so why waste time targeting people on facebook and putting them in groups that in the end could get you arrested? It’s completely pointless and you don’t want to be known as the person who went to court for cyberbullying, it just makes you look ignorant. People need to stop being so stupid and grow up.

Labelling somebody as Ludlow’s Ugliest is not only against the law it’s incredibly mean. Imagine how you would you feel if you were on facebook and someone told you that your picture was on the facebook group “Ludlow’s Ugliest.” And the worst part is people can “like” and comment on it. So now your not only seeing your face on an ugly group but you also have the pleasure of reading some comments left by people you may or may not know. It’s just wrong.

Thankfully, The Ludlow’s ugliest group has been deleted. Hopefully the creator(s) of this group will not revive the group or create other cruel pages.

Facebook began as a social network in order for friends, family, and colleagues to be able to stay connected, but now facebook has become a center of chaos. Another common problem with facebook is students publishing inappropriate pictures of themselves and/or their friends. While there might not be only laws against this keep in mind that if students are seen in any picture where they are consuming alcohol or druges they can be suspended from a sports team, fired from a job, or even denied by a college. Actually, the student doesn’t even have to be holding a beer can or a joint; if it’s in the background it still counts.