Upcoming Gear Up Day reduces stress for seniors

Casey Lanza-Lang, Staff Writer

Ludlow High School seniors looking to stay in the Western Massachusetts area better finish up their college applications. The school’s first instant decision day, also known as the Gear Up event, will take place on Dec. 7 and 8. The school’s guidance office will host visits from Springfield College, Western New England University, Elms College, and American International College.
The Gear Up event is the easiest way to apply to these four colleges. The cost of applying to the colleges listed is completely waived for this event. Not only does this help students to save money on the applications themselves, it’s a great way to receive scholarships. Last year, tens of thousands of dollars was given to students, according to the guidance office.
Seniors can participate in this day to save money as well as time. With the instant decision day, the admissions process is reduced to just one day. Rather than waiting weeks or even months for an acceptance letter, students will be informed, on the spot, whether or not they have been accepted. Senior Christian Almeida loves this aspect of the instant decision day.
“I think Gear Up day makes the admissions process much easier,” Almeida said with enthusiasm.
To participate in the Gear Up event, students must sign up in guidance by Dec. 1st and fill out a form that states what periods they are available for interviews as well as what college they apply to. Colleges that students apply to determine when their interviews will take place. Interview spots are limited, so the guidance office encourages seniors to sign up as soon as possible.
Participating seniors must complete the college applications prior to the interviews. Seniors must submit supporting documents (letters of recommendation, transcripts, essays) to the guidance office by Dec. 5.
The Gear Up day is meant to simplify the college application process for students. Christian Almeida said that this attempt to ease stress is exactly why he was interested in utilizing the day.
“I decided to do it to ease the pressure of college,” Almeida said.
The instant decision day is coming up quickly. The guidance office stresses that any seniors who are as interested as Christian should make every effort to participate. If any seniors have questions regarding the event, they should visit the guidance office as soon as possible.