LHS students compete in Stock Market Competition

Business teacher Linda Courtney and her business and personal finance class traveled to the MassMutual Center in Downtown Springfield on Thursday, November 7 to participate in the Junior Achievement Stock Market Competition.

Each team is given $1 million of fictitious money to invest into fake companies. The fake companies have fictional call letters and company descriptions to allow the investors to choose the available stocks. Stock prices, daily net worths, and progress charts are depicted on video screens. Trophies are awarded to the teams with the top 3 net-gain portfolios.

A total of 167 teams participated in this event including 4 teams from Ludlow High School.

Out of the 167 competing teams the Ludlow Green Team, made up of Christopher Alves, Cameron MacDonald, and Ethan Wheeler, were awarded 3rd place.

“I was glad I had the chance to go. It was pretty cool how it went, I had fun,” said senior Christopher Alves.

The Ludlow Green Team finished with a stock portfolio worth $2,015,449.38.

“All Ludlow teams did well,” said Courtney, “All teams made well over $1 million.”