LHS fall sports teams gather for community service

Athletes and coaches from all fall sports teams took over Ludlow High School on Sept. 7 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. to paint doors, move rocks, and lay mulch as part of “Pride Day” to give back to the school, according to Tim Brillo, athletic director.

“Everyone was there,” Brillo said, pleased with how many student-athletes donated their time doing manual labor on campus.

The students involved moved rocks by the track to spell out LHS and added mulch around the area to neaten up the look. Additionally, many participants painted a fresh coat of paint on the doors by the back gym.

Brillo said they did have a Pride Day last spring but this was the first time fall athletes were asked to participate, adding that players and coaches showed up with few complaints.

There’s no better way to way to get involved in community service than to “start at your own building,” Brillo said.

Girls varsity soccer coach Kate Marino was impressed with all the athletes and thought it was a great bonding experience while acquiring community service for college applications.

“It was so cool to see all the athletes working together to help the school,” said Marino.

JV A girls soccer captain, junior, Veronica Pereira, also agrees it was a great bonding experience, which was a common reaction between many of the athletes who participated.

“It was a lot of work but in the end it made our school look better and we had fun working together,” said Pereira.