Couture comments on first year at LHS

Matthew Santos, Guest Writer

“Whatever decision I have to make needs to be in the best interest of the student.” 

This was emphasized over and over again by Assistant Principal Aaron Couture during a recent interview where he shared his experiences on his first year at Ludlow High School.

“When I interact with students I try not to deal with it in a way that would have a negative impact,” he said, adding that he treats them as he would “his own kids.”

Couture hadn’t always known education was the path for him. It wasn’t until he picked up a summer camp counselor position during the summers of his early college years when he realized he had loved working with children. Following his newfound discovery, Couture then tailored his studies and focus to a major in organizational and behavioral psychology. 

Shortly after graduation, Couture received an internship where he worked with children with severe autism, which he absolutely loved. For the next several years, his work with special education took him to different districts, including Boston Public Schools until ultimately arriving at an assistant principal position at Ludlow High School.

Working in an urban educational environment for a very long time has provided me an opportunity to have a lens on certain inequalities in the world and work to change that

— Vice Principal Aaron Couture

When asked what education meant to him, Couture responded, “Opportunity. Education provides someone with the knowledge to apply themself to something and to grow.” 

A typical day for Couture tends to never look the same which is what he loves about his job: the variety. 

His day starts with an early arrival so he is at LHS before the students start to fill the halls. Following his daily meetings with his fellow administrators, Ms. Sierra and Mr. Mitchell, Couture makes it a practice to interact with students as they walk in. He says this is when administrators can get a feel for “the mood or vibe of the students” and even get a sense of events that may have occurred outside of school. Additionally, the VP can figure out who may need his assistance to make it through the day, whether it is with grades and academic decisions or just talking about personal issues at home. 

Interacting with the students takes over the majority of his day; these interactions can vary and can include congratulating students on achievements or talking with families. Some parts of his day remain the same: morning and lunch duties coupled with the afternoon process regulating the student dismissal process in the parking lot. 

“Whether good or bad, it makes that day interesting,” he says, referring to the diversity a typical day can bring. 

Couture once received a phone call from his own children’s school regarding a matter about his nine-year-old daughter. Upon answering the phone he was immediately informed that it was “not an emergency.” A sigh of relief. He employs the same practice when he makes a phone call as an administrator, informing a parent or guardian immediately that their child is safe. This speaks to Couture’s passion and caring for the well-being of his students and their families.

In addition to the safety and well-being of students, Couture is also understanding of social issues that affect a diverse population of students.

“Working in an urban educational environment for a very long time has provided me an opportunity to have a lens on certain inequalities in the world and work to change that,” he said.

Couture explains that his daily wish is for his students to be able to walk through the high school doors knowing that they are safe and that he and his fellow administrators have their student’s backs. At the end of the day it is all about giving them a “quality education preparing them for the real world,” he says.  

When asked how he would summarize his career looking back, Couture explained, “I’d like to reflect on all the years and know that I never made a decision that impacted a student, a family, a colleague, or a teacher in a negative way and without a goal to have a student’s best interest in mind.” Couture goes on, “[to look back knowing] I didn’t avoid something because it was uncomfortable or difficult, but I advanced to find a positive resolution for the issue.”