Elise & Luis: a long-lasting couple

“It all started when we pretended to date as a joke. We were joking around and then kinda just started talking,” recalls senior Elise Roberts when asked how her and her longterm boyfriend, senior Luis Quiterio started dating.

“A bunch of our friends were hanging out at a friends house and all the girls were about to leave up the street to Sarah’s,” says Luis Quiterio. “Before she left I went up to her and asked her straight up, ‘Do you want to be my girlfriend?”

This was on April 17, 2009.

Going strong on three years and ten months of dating officially, Elise and Luis proudly hold the title of one of the longest lasting relationships in the senior class.

These middle school sweethearts always spend Valentine’s Day together and do something special for each other.

“I always buy her flowers and stuff,” says Luis. “I’m old fashioned.”

There is still plenty of romance in their relationship; nothing gets boring, even after all the years they’ve been dating.

“He’s in charge of the Valentine’s Day plans this year, so hopefully we do something cute,” comments Elise.

These two have a very healthy relationship in the sense that they don’t have to be together every second of every day or know what the other is doing twenty-four-seven. There is a peace of mind because they know that they don’t have to worry about the other ever betraying or hurting them.

“We’ve been together for so long I think because we trust each other completely and just love each other lots,” says Elise.

Finding a relationship like theirs is rare, especially considering their age when they started dating. Not many can say that they’re still with the same person they were with in high school, never mind the 8th grade.

“I like him because he treats me how every guy should treat a girl,” she praises. “He’s sweet and caring. He makes me laugh and we have fun together. I can be myself in front of him and he’s much more than my boyfriend, he’s my best friend.”

Luis’ laid back personality compliments Elise’s outgoing bubbliness perfectly. They truly bring out the best in each other and can still give each other the butterflies.

Luis couldn’t quite decide what his favorite thing about Elise is, and after much contemplation he answered, “I just like her, okay?”