Mrs. Nacewicz starts “new chapter” in her life

Another year goes by, and the Class of 2011 is departing from the Ludlow High School community. However, it isn’t just the seniors who are leaving us, it is also a few of our faculty members, one of which is our very own National Honor Society advisor and Chemistry teacher, Mrs. Dolores Nacewicz.

Nacewicz has been teaching at Ludlow High School for nine years, but before that she also taught at Longmeadow High School and at West Springfield High School. But prior to teaching, Nacewicz was working in the medical field as a medical technologist for 18 years at what is now Baystate Medical Center.

It seems that Nacewicz was always destined to be a teacher. When she was a student here at Ludlow High School, she was a member of the club “Future Teachers of America.”

“As a graduate of LHS when I first came here it was a coming home type of feeling,” said Nacewicz. “Who knew that one day I would return to my alma mater as a teacher?”

As an LHS staff member for nine years, she has seen some changes come through those front doors.

“The core curriculum has not changed, but the way teachers are expected to deliver it has,” said Nacewicz. “But one thing I have seen is that the staff has definitely gotten younger in these past nine years.”

Many people feel that teaching is just a very educated individual teaching the youth of today facts on a certain topic; however, it is a lot more than that, as Nacewicz came to realize.

“Teaching has kept me active both physically and mentally,” said Nacewicz, “You have to keep up with your students.”

Being in the same environment for nine years, Nacewicz has come across some good times, and some bad, but moments that she will remember forever.

“I have lots of fond memories of my time here,” said Nacewicz, “One of my favorites is of Senor Zina and his classes practicing their Spanish and trying to get as many teachers to slam their doors closed as possible. The more doors that were shut the less homework the students would have that day.”

Her decision for leaving revolves around wanting to be with her family and a feeling that “it is time” to end this chapter of her life. Nacewicz said that it was a scary decision, but not a hard one to make.

“I enjoy what I do in my classroom and will miss that and my students,” said Nacewicz.

Senior Mike Ziencina had Nacewicz for general chemistry his sophomore year and for AP Chemistry his senior year, just so he could have her again as one of his final teachers.

“I love Mrs. Nacewicz as a teacher and a person, and wish her the very best in her retirement and for the rest of her life,” said Ziencina.

After her retirement Nacewicz will enjoy the summer by spending it in Maine, she is also planning a trip to Hawaii to celebrate both her retirement and her 40th wedding anniversary. But beyond that, she will “take things as they come.”

Nacewicz expressed how she will miss her fellow teachers, mornings in the copy room having coffee, and lunches with her department. However, department meetings, early release days, and MCAS testing are not on that list.

“It means a total life change,” said Nacewicz. “But I am excited to start a new chapter in my life.”