Varsity softball off to a rough start

Being well into their season, the girls varsity softball team is looking to have a better season this year compared to last years.

Last year the girls record was 1-19, getting their only win on their senior night against Holyoke.

“I just want us to get more than 1 win this year,” said sophomore Stacia Papuga, “I want to be able to tell people that we aren’t the same team as last year, we’re better and we aren’t going 1-19 again.”

So far the girls are 1-11, but hopefully once they get into their league games today they can start managing some wins. Teams like Chicopee Comp, Hampshire, South Hadley and Holyoke are in their league.

“We are struggling so far, but we are playing some hard teams,” says coach Adam Graves.

The expectations are set right from the start for the team. They know what the coaches expect from them and what is expected on and off the field.

“The girls are struggling with making their routine plays and working on more timely hits,” says Graves. Any slight mistakes can cost the girls a win of the game.

With the start of their league games on May 6, we wish our softball team the best of luck and hope to finish out their last eight games strong.