Sophomores remember 9/11 victims

Sophomores remember 9/11 victims

The sophomore class of 2017 will be traveling to New York City on Nov. 24 to visit the 9/11 Memorial and Museum and other parts of the city, according to class advisers Meredith Smith and Kathleen Marino.

Students will board a King Ward bus and leave at 7:00 a.m. In addition to visiting the 9/11 Memorial and Museum, students will be able to explore Canal Street; Wall Street; and the private, closed-off street made of cobblestone, known as Stone Street. The memorial tour starts at 2:30.

Before the tour, students will have some time to do some shopping and sightseeing and get some lunch.

Ninety students will make the trip. Groups will be organized by tens and assigned to a chaperone. Chaperones will include Michael Halpin, Tesha Ward, Nancy Kurty, Marino and her parents, Smith, Leah Cook.

Buses will be filled with four sets of groups on one bus and five sets of groups on the second bus.

“At the Memorial, the students will see the names of every person who died in the terrorist attacks of February 26, 1993 and September 11, 2001 inscribed in bronze around the twin memorial pools,” says Smith.

The museum displays artifacts associated with events of 9/11 while presenting stories of loss and recovery.

Students will conclude their day with getting back on the bus around 4:30, stopping for dinner, and are expected to arrive home around 9:00 p.m.

Sign ups for a specific chaperone and being with friends will be on Thursday Nov. 20. See Ms. Marino for details.