The dangers of distracted driving

Emily Worpek, Feature Editor

Texting and driving has become the epidemic of the 21st century. The increase in accidents caused by distracted driving in teens is causing widespread panic.

According to textinganddrivingsafety.com the likelihood of getting into an accident while texting is six times as likely as it is when you’re drunk. With how much it is enforced in the drinking and driving situation, it’s a surprise teenagers are so apt to texting while behind the wheel. About 26% of accidents are related to cell phone use.

In 2013, 341,000 accidents were caused by cell phone use. With the amount of distracted driving accidents growing some students at LHS are very conscious of their cell phone use while driving.

“I never use my phone while I’m driving.” says senior Trinity Baker. “It impairs your driving so much I don’t know how anyone could use their phone while their driving.”

It only takes 5 seconds for you to glance at your phone before a car is coming at you.

Distracted driving is an epidemic that is sweeping the country, every week there’s a new headline of a teenager being injured or killed in a distracted driving incident;

“Texting While Driving: Story of teen’s fatal crash impacts BHS seniors”

“16-year-old charged with texting while driving; crash resulted in woman’s death”

Headlines like these plaster the news, but texting isn’t the only thing that impairs your driving, cell phone use in general can be dangerous.

“I don’t text and drive, but I use siri sometimes”. Claims Kyle Grondalski

Despite the awfulness of Texting and driving, it is completely preventable. For kids who text and drive it’s as easy as putting your phone on silent or making sure it’s out of reach so you can’t grab it and check it, despite the temptation.

Students at LHS should be aware of the dangers of texting and driving. Just a matter of seconds could change your life forever.

For students that don’t drive, the effects of texting and driving are still prevalent when you’re in the car with someone who makes the decision to text and drive.

“One time I was in the car with my sister and her friends and the driver started texting while she was driving and she ended up in the other lane.” says Angela Ruby, “I was scared I was going to die or get into an accident but the passenger took the phone and screamed at the driver and didn’t give her phone back until we got to the destination.”
Whether or not you’ve texted while driving personally, or you’ve been in the car with someone using their cell phone, distracted driving is indisputably a risk no one should take. When you’re behind the wheel any form of impairment to your judgement can put yours or others lives at risk.